Two weeks ago, I was able to attend the first ever Division One lacrosse game played in Minnesota. For the main event, the West Point Military Academy (Army) faced off against the University of Notre Dame. The University of Minnesota Duluth was also there to scrimmage both teams and the game was held at the Blaine Sports Complex. The tournament and expo was sponsored by the Minnesota Swarm in an effort to spread the sport. The game was an extremely intense one and required extra time to decide the winner. With about ten minutes left in the second overtime, Army came down on a fast break where the ball was passed to in front of the net. An attackman for Army caught the ball and shot it between his legs with his back to the goalie. Army won the game 8-7. There were over five thousand people attending the game and the atmosphere in the stadium was incredible.
This weekend was a very important one for lacrosse and will hopefully get more kids into lacrosse. The governor even declared the Saturday "Lacrosse Day" in Minnesota. I was at the Sports Complex all weekend because I was playing in a lacrosse tournament also sponsored by the Swarm. The team I as on didn't have a lot of players so I go to play Attack, Middie, and Defense in every game. My team was also very bad so I had to carry the team in every time we stepped on the field. In the first game on Saturday, I scored our teams only goal and we lost 8-2. In the second game of the day, I struck fire and had a hat trick. But my individual effort wasn't enough and we lost 5-3. The following day we had one more game but had to play with no substitutes. Our team didn't show any sighs of life all game and we were shut out 9-0. Overall it was a great weekend It was one of the most thrilling sporting events I have attended. I hope the weekend tournament becomes a tradition every year and that more and more teams enter the tourney.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment