Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Middle of No-Where, Alaska

I woke up to the sound of a floatplane flying over our camp. We were finally headed home. The crisp morning air greeted me as I exited the tent to grab a quick breakfast and hot chocolate to warm my core. My bags are packed, and I hop on a fishing boat for my return to the real world. Looking forward to a fresh pair of clothes and a hot shower, I doze off to the sights of acres of trees, lakes, and rivers rolling by my plane window.


Seven days earlier, I arrived at the fishing camp the same way I was leaving it. My dad, brother, my friend and his family were dropped more than 300 miles outside of civilization, on the Mulchatna River located in the heart of Alaska. Teeming with wild life (including an excess of mosquitoes), our campsite was about as rugged as it gets – hard sided tents to sleep in, with a kitchen and dining tent surrounding the massive fire pit that burned day and night.


The smell of bacon and eggs wafting through the campsite wakes me early every morning and beckons me to the dining tent. After scarfing down a quick breakfast, we are directed down to the bank of the river where the fishing guides take us up and down the river to catch our lunch. The biggest prize is the King Salmon, reigning over the Sockeye Salmon, Char Trout, Chum Salmon, Rainbow Trout, and Grayling Salmon. A catching (or, at least trying) lunch, the guides cook up a delicious shore lunch consisting of fresh fish, and fried potatoes, carrots, and onions mixed together to form a delicious “Shore Lunch Salad”.


After returning to the river for an afternoon of fishing, we head back to camp to get a pair of dry clothes on and take advantage of some down time. My friend and I liked to take this opportunity to explore the scenery surrounding our home base. We witnessed a mother Eagle feeding its young, discovered deer antlers, followed herds of wild Caribou, and spotted bear feces. Trekking into the untamed wilderness made me comprehend that there are places all around the world where very few humans ever step foot on, including the place I was experiencing.


Dinnertime around camp was one of the most relaxing and beautiful times of day. When it is usually getting dark in every normal place in the word, Alaska is still almost as bright as day. When the sun finally sets, it is near 2 o’clock in the morning, and as the sun falls beneath the mountains in the distance, all of nature seems to stop, creating one of the most spectacular sights in the entire world.


Back to my floatplane ride home, I see the Iliamna airport in the distance. From there it’s another small plane ride to Anchorage and then on to Minnesota. The gorgeous scenery surrounds you in every part of Alaska and it is a truly amazing place.


My time disconnected from the rest of the world was an amazing experience, and the natural beauty of the area fostered memories that will last a lifetime. However, my bed has never felt more comfortable than that first night back home.

No comments: