Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Q2, P12. The Road

On Monday (12/1/08), we started reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy. As readers, we don't know much about the two main characters. Their names are unknown and the McCarthy refers to the two as The Man and The Boy. The book so far has been about The Boy and The Man walking along a long road while they head South to avoid a harsh winter. The two characters have not met any other people so far and everything has been shut down and abandoned. The author doesn't give any details of what happened to everyone or why it happened. McCarthy has a unique writing style that I have never seen before. A lot of times he decides not to use punctuation (like periods, commas, and apostrophes) when need. He also changes up his sentence structure and length to help depict the mood of what is happening in the story. He will create run on sentences to keep the flow of a scene going. Or he will use short, choppy sentences to help describe the scene and explain a lot of details.

So far I like The Road. I like the story like and the way the author writes it. I think that it is a depressing story especially because we don't even get to learn the two main characters' names. I hope that in the end The Man and The Boy will meet other people, reach the South and are able to start a new life. I'm excited to keep reading the book and hopefully uncover the reason why The Man and The Boy are on this journey and what happened to the world.

For this quarter I chose to read another Carl Hiaasen book. The book title is Stormy Weather. Here is a little preview of the book from Carl Hiaasen's website:
"When a ferocious hurricane rips through southern Florida, the con artists and carpetbaggers waste no time in swarming over the disaster area. Caught in the middle are Max and Bonnie Lamb, newlyweds torn in wildly different directions by the storm. It is Max's fateful decision to abort their Disney World honeymoon and race to Dade County to see the terrible devastation.
Armed with a video camera, the ambitious young advertising executive can't wait to show his hurricane tapes to his buddies back in New York. Over Bonnie's objections, Max eagerly sets out through the rubble, debris and mayhem - and promptly vanishes. The only clue to his whereabouts: a runaway monkey. The only bio who can help Bonnie's search: a mysterious young man with a tranquilizer gun and a roomful of human skulls."

HERE IS THE LINK TO HIS SITE --- http://www.carlhiaasen.com/books/books-stormy.html

No comments: